ALBION ELEVATOR ONCE WAS LOCATED ON SUPERIOR STREET
by Frank Passic, Albion Historian
This week we present a winter scene postcard photograph of downtown Albion taken around 1910 showing a large line of horse-drawn sleds stretching from Cass to Erie Streets. A notation on the back of the car stated that this was farmer David McKinney hauling his wheat to the mill. He had over 5,000 bushels, and hired the sled teams to do the transporting for him.
The Albion Elevator and Stone Mill buildings are on the right. Other than this delivery team, there doesnt seem to be much traffic on Superior St. During this time Albion had large electric poles positioned along the west side of Superior St., as can be seen here. In the far left corner we see the B. F. Kinmont Drugstore, presently Parks Drugs. Notice also the street lights and the overhead electric wires. A couple of other landmarks in this photograph include Gales Hardware on the far right, and the Knights of Phythias Lodge, located above the former J. C. Penney Store building.
Related History from Frank Passic:
see also notes in the Albion Guestbook
This page last updated 5/15/02.
All art work and text © 2002 Maggie LaNoue / Albion Design.
The Albion Home Page does not endorse the advertisement below