Historical Albion Michigan
By Frank Passic

Return to the Frank Passic
Home Page  

Return to the Albion Michigan Home Page

Any photos not otherwise credited are from the personal collection of Frank Passic, Albion Historian.

FROST’S SHOE STORE

Morning Star, April 24, 2022, pg. 8

The Morning Star is in need of carriers and carrierettes (if that’s a word) to deliver copies of this paper on weekends along various routes in Albion. In order to read this column each week, someone has to deliver it to your doorstep. If you haven’t been receiving the Morning Star in Albion, you should have been. So if you know of a person or persons who needs some exercise and/or some money and is willing to work for it, give the Morning Star a call at (517) 629-2127 for further information.

One long-time Albion business from the past was Frost’s Shoe Store, located at 213 S. Superior St. It was in existence from December 18, 1867, until April, 1954, a total of 86 years. Frost’s Shoe Store was a mainstay in downtown Albion. in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Its founder, Robert J. Frost, Sr. (1842-1923) was Albion’s longest continuous in-business merchant at the time of his death, a total of 55 years. Robert was a native of Cambridge, England. He came with his family to America and eventually settled in Albion in the 1850s. After serving in the Civil War, Robert returned to Albion and opened his shoe store in December, 1867 in partnership with Charles S. Daskam (1831-1904), whom he later bought out.

Robert was involved in local politics and served on the Village Council, and served as Village Treasurer. He was a staunch Democrat. When Albion became a city in 1885, he became Albion's first City Treasurer. Robert was elected the second Mayor of Albion in 1886, and was re-elected in 1889 for another term.

Robert married Fannie Olcott in 1868, and the couple had two children: Robert J. and Belle (married name Richardson of Parlier, CA). Son Robert J. Frost (1880-1932) graduated from Albion High School in 1898 and became a partner with his father in the shoe business. It then became known as Robert Frost & Son. Following Robert J’s death in 1932, his wife Ada (1884-1984) took over the operations, with Herman Zick working as manager during the 1930s. Ada later managed it herself until selling in it April, 1954. At that time, it became Dick’s Shoes which operated for a few years before closing.

From our Historical Notebook we present a 1939 photograph of Frost’s Shoe Store at 213 S. Superior St. How many of our readers remember this business?


1939 photograph of Frost’s Shoe Store at 213 S. Superior St.

Next: Albion 100 Years Ago - MAY 1922

Back to the Top of this Page

All text copyright, 2026 © all rights reserved Frank Passic  |  Artwork copyright Maggie LaNoue © 2026

Frank Passic Albion Historian Frank Passic — Albion Historian

An Albion native and 1971 graduate of Albion High School, Frank Passic has been researching and writing Albion history since 1976. He is the creator of the Albion Historical Notebook, with hundreds of articles appearing weekly in the Morning Star and The Recorder. Frank maintains an extensive personal archive including Riverside Cemetery records, family surname files, genealogies, photographs, city directories, and high school yearbooks. Support his 2026 research at the Historic Albion Michigan Facebook page.

Historical Notebook  |  From the Archives  |  Subject List  |  100 Years Ago  |  Alphabetical Index  |  Frank Passic Home Page  |  Albion History Books  |  Contact Frank
Michigan Prints by Maggie LaNoue Michigan Prints by Maggie LaNoue

Michigan Prints offers limited-edition archival Giclée prints, miniprints, notecards and boxed sets featuring Michigan landmarks, nature, resorts and nostalgia. Each print and card includes a legend on the back with stories about Michigan history. Albion scenes include the Kalamazoo River waterfall and the Blizzard of 1978. Find Michigan Prints online and at local shops.

Michigan Prints  |  Albion Scenes  |  Custom Cards  |  Zazzle Gifts
AlbionMich.net AlbionMich.net — General Guide to Albion

AlbionMich.net is a hub for community life in the greater Albion area, featuring current news, city council updates, river restoration stories, parks and trails. See Albion's beautiful Kalamazoo River waterfall as it looks today — and follow the story of its future restoration. Includes news from The Recorder and stories about Albion's 17 parks.

AlbionMich.net  |  Albion Blog  |  Frank Passic on AlbionMich.net
General Guide to Albion General Guide to Albion

AlbionMich.net offers two General Guides to the Albion area — one covering community life including city council, veterans, history, youth and wellness resources, and one covering the outdoors including roads, rivers, parks, trails and downtown. Both guides feature stories by local writers including contributors to The Recorder, sorted by topic for easy reference.

General Guide — Community  |  General Guide — Outdoors
Robin James Indices Unlimited Robin James — Indices Unlimited

Robin James is the editor of the Albion Historical Notebook and has kept Frank Passic's thousands of articles organized and searchable for decades. A trained librarian and archivist, Robin specializes in back-of-book and online indexing, multimedia collection management, and corporate information distribution. He also enjoys strange music and is a contributing editor for Igloo electronic music magazine.

For more about his indexing services, visit Indices Unlimited.
AlbionDesign.com — Communications Specialists Since 1981  |  Advertise on AlbionMich.com