Historical Albion Michigan
By Frank Passic

Return to the Frank Passic
Home Page  

Return to the Albion Michigan Home Page

Any photos not otherwise credited are from the personal collection of Frank Passic, Albion Historian.

TUNING IN TO WALM RADIO, THE EARLY YEARS

Morning Star, January 28, 2024, pg. 6

It's now been many years since Albion's AM radio station WALM signed off the air in May of 1995. While growing up in Albion, many residents listed to various programs throughout the day. The daily schedule began with "Calling RFD" at 6 in the morning, including the "hog report" around 6:30 to keep you on the edge of your seat through breakfast. It was truly a local AM station, in the days before FM radio took over listening preferences. Other memorable programs included "The Diaper Line" at 11:05 am, "Know Your Michigan" at 11:15 am, and "Cracker Barrel" at 11:30. Who could forget "Luncheon at Schuler's" with Gay Potter on the organ from Marshall at Noon? The rest of the afternoon included "Bandstand Review" at 1:05 pm, followed by the ever-popular "Pop Shop" at 4:05 pm. "Traffic Jamboree" followed at 5:15 pm., with "Drewery's [that was the name of a beer] Sports Final" at 5:45, and "Table for Two" at 6 pm.

The call letters WALM stood for Albion and Marshall. It signed on the air on Sunday, November 2, 1952 at 1540 on the AM dial, with a daytime power of 250 watts. Its transmitter was located on the corner of U.S-12 and 27 Mile Road at the west city limits on the former James Elliott farm. The 220-foot transmitter tower stood next to the transmitter building. Broadcasting originated from here, and from a studio installed in 1956 in the station's business office in the Parker-Kessler Block above Hawes Drug Store in downtown Albion.

The original owner was the Calhoun Broadcasting Company, formed in 1951, with one of the local investors, Jack C. Bedient (Albion Evening Recorder) serving as president. The Company included some Owosso investors who were bought out in 1956. In December, 1958, the station was sold to Triad Corporation, with C. Wayne Wright becoming general manager.

In July 1954, the station changed its frequency to 1260, and increased its power to 500 watts. The power was increased again in August, 1956 to 1,000 watts, with a nighttime power of 250 watts. Later, a new station and tower was erected at 10980 25 ½ Mile Road in Albion Township, and broadcasting continued there until the station went off the air. The station had a remote broadcast booth which it took to various locations in Albion and Marshall.

There were at least three persons that worked at WALM who went on to bigger broadcasting careers. Long-time Detroit TV news host Bill Bonds got his broadcasting start at WALM. Announcer Dave White, a 1956 graduate of Albion High School, worked at WALM and subsequently landed a job at WJR radio in Detroit where he worked for 22 years as a news announcer.

Finally, Dave Eddy, another AHS class of 1956 graduate, got his broadcasting start here right after graduation. He became quite a celebrity during his broadcasts of "The Pop Shop" from the Western Auto Store in Marshall, which was swarming with teens each afternoon between 4 and 5 to listen to requests. In 1960 Dave left WALM to move to WBCK in Battle Creek, where he continued broadcasting for many years as the "Morning Mayor," and as a host on the local cable TV channel in Battle Creek.

From our Historical Notebook this week we present a mid-1950s photo of the first WALM studio along U.S.-12 (Austin Avenue) at the west city limits. Next is an August, 1956 photo of young announcer Dave White on the back of a flatbed truck with the mobile WALM broadcasting booth. The event was "Smorgasbord," held at Felpausch Foods on N. Eaton St. as a fundraiser for the Recreation Fund from the Albion Boosters. On the left is a Michigan-brand cottage cheese delivery truck from Otsego. Today, WALM is gone, but Michigan cottage cheese is still with us. How many of our readers remember listing to WALM while growing up in Albion?


Mid-1950s photo of the first WALM studio along Austin Avenue.


August, 1956 photograph of Dave White on the mobile WALM broadcasting booth.

Next: ALBION 100 YEARS AGO FEBRUARY 1924

Back to the Top of this Page

All text copyright, 2026 © all rights reserved Frank Passic  |  Artwork copyright Maggie LaNoue © 2026

Frank Passic Albion Historian Frank Passic — Albion Historian

An Albion native and 1971 graduate of Albion High School, Frank Passic has been researching and writing Albion history since 1976. He is the creator of the Albion Historical Notebook, with hundreds of articles appearing weekly in the Morning Star and The Recorder. Frank maintains an extensive personal archive including Riverside Cemetery records, family surname files, genealogies, photographs, city directories, and high school yearbooks. Support his 2026 research at the Historic Albion Michigan Facebook page.

Historical Notebook  |  From the Archives  |  Subject List  |  100 Years Ago  |  Alphabetical Index  |  Frank Passic Home Page  |  Albion History Books  |  Contact Frank
Michigan Prints by Maggie LaNoue Michigan Prints by Maggie LaNoue

Michigan Prints offers limited-edition archival Giclée prints, miniprints, notecards and boxed sets featuring Michigan landmarks, nature, resorts and nostalgia. Each print and card includes a legend on the back with stories about Michigan history. Albion scenes include the Kalamazoo River waterfall and the Blizzard of 1978. Find Michigan Prints online and at local shops.

Michigan Prints  |  Albion Scenes  |  Custom Cards  |  Zazzle Gifts
AlbionMich.net AlbionMich.net — General Guide to Albion

AlbionMich.net is a hub for community life in the greater Albion area, featuring current news, city council updates, river restoration stories, parks and trails. See Albion's beautiful Kalamazoo River waterfall as it looks today — and follow the story of its future restoration. Includes news from The Recorder and stories about Albion's 17 parks.

AlbionMich.net  |  Albion Blog  |  Frank Passic on AlbionMich.net
General Guide to Albion General Guide to Albion

AlbionMich.net offers two General Guides to the Albion area — one covering community life including city council, veterans, history, youth and wellness resources, and one covering the outdoors including roads, rivers, parks, trails and downtown. Both guides feature stories by local writers including contributors to The Recorder, sorted by topic for easy reference.

General Guide — Community  |  General Guide — Outdoors
Robin James Indices Unlimited Robin James — Indices Unlimited

Robin James is the editor of the Albion Historical Notebook and has kept Frank Passic's thousands of articles organized and searchable for decades. A trained librarian and archivist, Robin specializes in back-of-book and online indexing, multimedia collection management, and corporate information distribution. He also enjoys strange music and is a contributing editor for Igloo electronic music magazine.

For more about his indexing services, visit Indices Unlimited.
AlbionDesign.com — Communications Specialists Since 1981  |  Advertise on AlbionMich.com