|
JAMES W. SHELDON MEMORIAL HOSPITAL Morning Star, March 17, 1996, pg. 15
Once again we are going to see
another Albion landmark restored and put in use again: The James W. Sheldon
Memorial Hospital building. This is just one of a growing list of buildings
that investors have renovated so that these buildings may remain a valuable
part of our neighborhoods. We think of such edifices as the Parker Inn, the New
York Central Freight Depot, the Five Points Branch of the City Bank & Trust
Company, the Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company building, and other sites in town
that have been saved.
The James W. Sheldon Memorial
Hospital opened on May 1, 1924. It was named after Albion’s prominent 19th
century banker (1830-1894) who amassed a fortune here during his lifetime. His
bank was located at 304 S. Superior St. and later became the Albion State Bank,
which closed in 1931.
$50,000 of the money for the
hospital came from the estate of Madelon (Sheldon) Leffingwell, daughter of
banker James. The money was given by her son, James Sheldon “Don” Riley, who
spent his childhood here in Albion.
The Sheldon family also erected the
elegant Sheldon Block on the corner of Erie and Superior Streets, which
currently houses Parks Drug Store. Banker James and his family lived upstairs.
Now that would be a project to restore--the Sheldon living quarters above Parks
Drug Store. The Leisure Hour Club building on S. Clinton St. was also funded by
the Sheldon family, via banker James’ wife, Mary (Peabody) Sheldon-Ismon, a
daughter of Albion’s first settler, Paul Tenney Peabody.
So as we see the Sheldon Hospital
building turned into apartments, we are reminded this week of the historical
significance of the Sheldon name here in Albion, and this week in our
Historical Notebook present a photograph of James W. Sheldon after whom the
building was named [In this internet version we also picture the “Sheldon
Place” sign in front of the old hospital during the remodeling period].
Perhaps some enterprising persons
could next embark on a project to restore second story Albion downtown
buildings to “loft” apartments, to finally provide this type of living quarters
to our community, and increase tax revenues. And of course we sure would like
to see the Albion Opera House restored. All it takes is money...
 James W. Sheldon
 Sheldon Place
Next: THE CLIFT BLOCK
Back to the Top of this Page
All text copyright, 2026 © all rights reserved Frank Passic | Artwork copyright Maggie LaNoue © 2026
|
Frank Passic — Albion Historian
An Albion native and 1971 graduate of Albion High School, Frank Passic has been researching and writing Albion history since 1976. He is the creator of the Albion Historical Notebook, with hundreds of articles appearing weekly in the Morning Star and The Recorder. Frank maintains an extensive personal archive including Riverside Cemetery records, family surname files, genealogies, photographs, city directories, and high school yearbooks. Support his 2026 research at the Historic Albion Michigan Facebook page.
Historical Notebook |
From the Archives |
Subject List |
100 Years Ago |
Alphabetical Index |
Frank Passic Home Page |
Albion History Books |
Contact Frank
|
|
Michigan Prints by Maggie LaNoue
Michigan Prints offers limited-edition archival Giclée prints, miniprints, notecards and boxed sets featuring Michigan landmarks, nature, resorts and nostalgia. Each print and card includes a legend on the back with stories about Michigan history. Albion scenes include the Kalamazoo River waterfall and the Blizzard of 1978. Find Michigan Prints online and at local shops.
Michigan Prints |
Albion Scenes |
Custom Cards |
Zazzle Gifts
|
|
AlbionMich.net — General Guide to Albion
AlbionMich.net is a hub for community life in the greater Albion area, featuring current news, city council updates, river restoration stories, parks and trails. See Albion's beautiful Kalamazoo River waterfall as it looks today — and follow the story of its future restoration. Includes news from The Recorder and stories about Albion's 17 parks.
AlbionMich.net |
Albion Blog |
Frank Passic on AlbionMich.net
|
|
General Guide to Albion
AlbionMich.net offers two General Guides to the Albion area — one covering community life including city council, veterans, history, youth and wellness resources, and one covering the outdoors including roads, rivers, parks, trails and downtown. Both guides feature stories by local writers including contributors to The Recorder, sorted by topic for easy reference.
General Guide — Community |
General Guide — Outdoors
|
|
Robin James — Indices Unlimited
Robin James is the editor of the Albion Historical Notebook and has kept Frank Passic's thousands of articles organized and searchable for decades. A trained librarian and archivist, Robin specializes in back-of-book and online indexing, multimedia collection management, and corporate information distribution. He also enjoys strange music and is a contributing editor for Igloo electronic music magazine.
For more about his indexing services, visit Indices Unlimited.
|
|
AlbionDesign.com — Communications Specialists Since 1981 |
Advertise on AlbionMich.com
|
|