Historical Albion Michigan
By Frank Passic

Return to the Frank Passic
Home Page  

Return to the Albion Michigan Home Page

Any photos not otherwise credited are from the personal collection of Frank Passic, Albion Historian.

KONRAD FELISKY BARBER SHOP

From the Morning Star, January 25, 1998, page 2.

One well-known business establishment on the "west end" of Albion during the 1930s was Felisky’s Barber Shop, operated by Konrad O. Felisky (1896-1981). A native of Russia, Mr. Felisky came to Albion in 1916 to help establish a Russian Baptist Church here. He began barbering in 1922, beginning his trade in the basement of the Ostop Veramay house on Carson St.

In 1924 he erected a small frame building at 610 Austin Avenue, which he later sold to Paul Koroluk who opened his confectionary and soda store there. Shortly thereafter Konrad erected a frame building across the street at 611 Austin Avenue, where the old Gulf Service Station once stood. The first floor contained the barber shop, while the second floor had living quarters where Konrad and his wife Mary (1908-1996) lived after they were married in 1934.

In the late 1930s the Gulf Oil Company leased part of the lot the barber shop was located on, and the building was moved so a gas staiton could be built. Konrad had a new shop erected at 613 Austin Avnue just west of the Gulf Station. He used that until 1947, when he then moved his business to the front of his house at 810 N. Eaton St. In 1962 he moved to 1432 E. Michigan Avenue and operated his barbershop in the basement of his new home, before completely retiring in 1971.

Form our Historical Notebook this week we present a photograph circa 1929 of Felisky’s buidling at 611 Austin Avenue which was used in the early 1930s until the Gulf Station was erected on the site. The lettering on the left front window states, "BARBER SHOP," but on the right it reads, "MAPLE CITY ATHLETIC CLUB HEADQUARTERS. JOS. PASICK."

The latter was Joseph B. Pasic (1907-1994), uncle of yours truly, who at the time was a professional boxer. My uncle Steve Pasick (1910-1992) is also listed as a boxer under "occupation" in the 1930 Albion City Directory.. Apparently this was their business headquarters which they rented from Konrad Felisky. We didn’t know this before.

How many Albion residents remember this building where Konrad Felisky once barbered? Special thanks to son Timothy Felisky of Orange, California for providing the photograph and information about his father for this weeks article. I am still looking for a photograph of the Star Bakery, which operated on Austin Avenue just to the west of the "Russian Baptist Church" during the 1920’s and 1930s, and run by the Branoff family. Does anyone have a photograph of that establishment? It was last known as the Vienna Bakery operated by John Giluk at 620 Austin Avenue before it closed around 1940.


Felisky Barbershop circa 1940

Next: ELLIOTT C. GALE


Back to the Top of this Page

All text copyright, 2026 © all rights reserved Frank Passic  |  Artwork copyright Maggie LaNoue © 2026

Frank Passic Albion Historian Frank Passic — Albion Historian

An Albion native and 1971 graduate of Albion High School, Frank Passic has been researching and writing Albion history since 1976. He is the creator of the Albion Historical Notebook, with hundreds of articles appearing weekly in the Morning Star and The Recorder. Frank maintains an extensive personal archive including Riverside Cemetery records, family surname files, genealogies, photographs, city directories, and high school yearbooks. Support his 2026 research at the Historic Albion Michigan Facebook page.

Historical Notebook  |  From the Archives  |  Subject List  |  100 Years Ago  |  Alphabetical Index  |  Frank Passic Home Page  |  Albion History Books  |  Contact Frank
Michigan Prints by Maggie LaNoue Michigan Prints by Maggie LaNoue

Michigan Prints offers limited-edition archival Giclée prints, miniprints, notecards and boxed sets featuring Michigan landmarks, nature, resorts and nostalgia. Each print and card includes a legend on the back with stories about Michigan history. Albion scenes include the Kalamazoo River waterfall and the Blizzard of 1978. Find Michigan Prints online and at local shops.

Michigan Prints  |  Albion Scenes  |  Custom Cards  |  Zazzle Gifts
AlbionMich.net AlbionMich.net — General Guide to Albion

AlbionMich.net is a hub for community life in the greater Albion area, featuring current news, city council updates, river restoration stories, parks and trails. See Albion's beautiful Kalamazoo River waterfall as it looks today — and follow the story of its future restoration. Includes news from The Recorder and stories about Albion's 17 parks.

AlbionMich.net  |  Albion Blog  |  Frank Passic on AlbionMich.net
General Guide to Albion General Guide to Albion

AlbionMich.net offers two General Guides to the Albion area — one covering community life including city council, veterans, history, youth and wellness resources, and one covering the outdoors including roads, rivers, parks, trails and downtown. Both guides feature stories by local writers including contributors to The Recorder, sorted by topic for easy reference.

General Guide — Community  |  General Guide — Outdoors
Robin James Indices Unlimited Robin James — Indices Unlimited

Robin James is the editor of the Albion Historical Notebook and has kept Frank Passic's thousands of articles organized and searchable for decades. A trained librarian and archivist, Robin specializes in back-of-book and online indexing, multimedia collection management, and corporate information distribution. He also enjoys strange music and is a contributing editor for Igloo electronic music magazine.

For more about his indexing services, visit Indices Unlimited.
AlbionDesign.com — Communications Specialists Since 1981  |  Advertise on AlbionMich.com